When I try to get provinces from argentina or some another south american country I get errors..
eg: Gal�pagos (should be Galápagos)
Thanks for reporting the issue! We corrected the special characters issue from Argentina. Can you please check on your end?
I've just checked but it's still the issue... for example for peru, ecuador, etc.. I think almost all south american countries which have special characters like áéíóú or ñ have those issue
Hello! The same is happening with Portuguese provinces (and only provinces, the cities are ok). AFAICT, the issue relies on encoding. You're probably encoding the province names in Latin1, so some characters not supported by Latin1 are turned into �. Then, you're sending them along with the entire JSON object (which by default is UTF-8), which makes it impossible to decode the correct values of those characters because by then they are just � (\uFFFD). If you could change the string encoding of province names to UTF-8 instead of Latin1, that may solve this issue for every province name.
Hey @leogt-15! Thank you for your comment and collaboration. We were already aware of that but, as you know, the Database Hub is a collaboration platform and the collaborator that uploaded the Provinces sent the data with that encoding, so we do not hold the original JSON to change the encoding and fix that issue. But, again, as a collaboration platform, anyone is free to join in as a collaborator and fix those. We can fix manually the records if you send us the Object ID of the broken ones and the correct value too.
I'd be pleased to help. Since I'm using this API, and it's turned out to be one of the best I've found, I can myself collaborate with the changes. I'm just not sure how to do it. Otherwise, I can send you the broken Object IDs.
I think when this fix was done, some names broke. For example: Subdivisions_States_Provinces Object ID: EABZS6LIpb Current name: Neuqu_n Correct name: Neuquén
Hey @lnnnews.info! I corrected that one record. Please let me know if you find more of those.